Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar soup


Well you would think that these would get better rather than worse, but this particular entry was a summation of poor judgement and fatigue on my part. Having spent a very busy first part of the day out of doors, my decision to go ahead with this blog, scraggly hair/hayfever eyes and all was probably not the best.

BUT this is one of my favorite and most asked for recipes and since I don't make it all the time, carpe diem and all of that.

This is a surprisingly simple recipe that is a quick fix and never fails to bring Mmmms to the table. Damn right, its better 'n yours. Its also pretty much the only way I can get veggies of any quantity or substance into my youngest child, so there is that.

You will need:

12 oz Cheddar, grated or cubed. (I suggest sharp cheddar)
One head of broccoli (Or equivalent amount of broccoli spears)
3-4 large carrots
1 small white or yellow onion (Yellow onions are sweeter, so based on your own flavor palate, go with that feels right)
Water (enough to cover one inch in the bottom of a large sauce pan or small stock pot)
1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups of 2% or whole milk

Optional
1 can of Cream of Onion soup (I strongly suggest doing this, but its not completely necessary)
Cayenne pepper or Paprika to sprinkle on top
1/4 cup Parmesan (If you like that extra sharp taste)

And now: to the videos!

Hmmm. Not sure why I keep saying '1 cup of milk'. There is most definitely 2 cups of milk
and I do, indeed, ADD two cups of milk during the video, so we'll chalk that brainfart up to hay fever.

I hope you enjoyed the soundtrack provided by 'My Children Playing BattleFront 2'.

5 comments:

  1. *SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE*

    I solemnly vow to stop cooking with forks in these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious. I am going to try it here in Malaysia although not sure I can find the bread balls!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it and it was delicious! You have to really cut up the carrots very fine and I recommend to put them in the food processor (or a blender in my case,) along with the onions and broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made this for a second time and it turned out great! Such a simple recipe. I can't find cream of onion soup here in Malaysia so I substituted cream of celery and it turned out fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually make it with cream of celery when I can't find Cream of onion, too!

    ReplyDelete